What we do
Costs and service information on Applications under the Immigration Rules
- student visas
- visit visas (for tourism, or visiting friends / family)
- spouse and partners applications, including fiancé(e)s or proposed civil partners
- applications for work, business or study under the Points-Based System (excluding Tier 1 Entrepreneur and Tier 1 Investor visas);
- dependent relative and family reunion applications
- ancestry visas
- other categories, such as applications on the basis of long residence
How long will it take and our fees?
On average, the above types of work take between 5 to 14 hours to complete. This means that on average costs are between £1,500 and £5,000. All figures exclude VAT unless specifically stated.
Our hourly rates are given below:
The exact number of hours it will take depends on the circumstances in your case. Such as:
- The amount of supporting evidence that we need to consider
- Which language(s) you speak
- Whether you are applying with other dependants
If you are able to provide sufficient evidence at our first meeting and clearly meet the applicable Immigration Rules, the cost is likely to be at the lower end of this range.
What services are included?
The work will involve:
- discussing your circumstances in detail and confirming whether this is the most appropriate application for you to make and what other options may be available to you
- giving you advice about the requirements of the Immigration Rules and whether you meet the criteria
- if you do not fulfil certain criteria, whether this can be overcome and how, which on average takes 3-5 hours
- considering the supporting evidence you have provided, which we anticipate will take 2 to 5 hours (the amount of hours depends on the number of documents, whether they need to be translated, whether anything is missing and how long it will take to obtain the missing documents
- where necessary, helping you obtain further evidence (such as medical records and bank statements), including taking statements of any witnesses
- preparing your application and submitting it on your behalf, which we anticipate will take 1 to 2 hours
- Attendance at a Home Office interview: if the Home Office ask you to attend an interview, we will give you clear advice (and discuss the possibility of us attending with you) at the appropriate time. This could be between 1 and 2 hours of work.
- giving you advice about the outcome of the application and any further steps you need to take.
Disbursements (not included in costs set out above);
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as visa fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
The costs quoted here do not include:
- Any Home Office fees for making the application. You will pay this to the Home Office directly as part of the application process.
- Where the Home Office refuse your application, advice and assistance in relation to any appeal
How long will my application take?
We cannot guarantee how long the Home Office will take to process your application. Read the current processing times.
We will normally be able to submit this type of application within 2 to 4 weeks of you instructing us, but we will let you know at the earliest opportunity if it is likely to take longer than this.
Please note the anticipated number of hours and fees are an estimate based on the facts above. All applications are likely to vary and of course, we can give you a more accurate estimate once we have more information about your specific case.
The main members of the team likely to work on or assist with your matter are:
Tanya Laidlaw, Solicitor – Partner and Head of Immigration
James Clark, Solicitor
Tanya has been specialising in immigration law for some 10 years and James has specialised in immigration law for 4 years. They are supported by a strong administrative team, handling both straight-forward and complex immigration applications.
Further information on Tanya and James can be obtained from their profiles on this site.
This is an example provided for illustrative purposes to show how we work. Charges and costs vary considerably between matters. Consequently, this information is a general indication of costs based on an analysis of costs over the past two years. Please contact us for a personalised quote or to discuss the work involved.